When it is cold and dark, dank and dismal and my weekday alarm goes off, and the only two things in the world that coax me out of bed are the promises of a paycheck and a cup of hot coffee, I go on survival mode: the most perfunctory of showers. Bundling up in a massive sweater (“woolly jumper”) and corduroys and my Sorel rainboots. Hair in ponytail. I really can’t be bothered with makeup, even though I probably owe it to the world, and out of respect to my own appearance. Nonetheless, I’ve compromised with the grouch bear of my weekday morning self, and came up with the following lazy-girl cosmetic routine (done in 60 seconds or less!):
- Burt’s Bees Radiance Night Cream (worn during the day since my winter skin is super dry). I’ve tried so many moisturizers through the years, and this is the best I’ve found at the under $20 price point.
- Laura Mercier undercover pot. An applause worthy concealer, worn for obvious reasons, under the eyes. And it blends very well with the drab olive of my sun-deprived winter skin:
- Laura Mercier pressed setting powder. I have nothing against other brands, but I like how this doesn’t make my skin look too chalky. It also provides good coverage, which is a plus since I can’t even bother to put on tinted moisturizer, let alone foundation.
- Nars blush in the color Orgasm. Listen, I’m not trying to be kinky. Despite the scandalous name, it is the most flattering blush color of the history of mankind. On everybody. It works. Really.
- Dr. Hauschka lip balm. Love, love this lip balm, spreads really easy, not at all goopy or waxy. Does not smell or taste like anything (which I prefer in a lip balm). Also, made of nothing but organic goodness.
- Kiehl’s Intensive Treatment and Moisturizer for use on my hands and elbows. This is basically the only hand lotion I’ve found that doesn’t require immediate re-application once I’ve put it on. It really is intense.
And that’s it! My (lack of) beauty routine in a nutshell! Perhaps once the weather gets a bit warmer, I’ll go crazy and add some eyeliner and mascara…